The UofS was recently awarded a software grant by Schlumberger (SLB) which provides for access to the PETREL suite of geoscientific software. SLB is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology and services into the oil and gas exploration/production industry. Included in this grant is the entire ECLIPSE suite for reservoir modeling. This software is recognized as the premier leading edge environment for fluid flow modeling in this specific discipline. To facilitate a broader license provisioning to teaching labs and researchers across/off campus, a new dedicated server (geolicense.usask.ca) has been established to deliver the multiple licenses available. This new license server will be used for other related software systems in the future. For more information contact us at email@example.com.
Mathematica 10 has recently been released, and will be available on campus soon.
I wanted to let Mathematica users know that this is coming, and announce that Wolfram Inc. is giving an online, 2 hour presentation on the new features on Tuesday, July 29 starting at 11:00 AM (our time). There is no charge for the presentation. (Click here for the registration page.) Continue reading
As part of our program to support good research data management, charges for Datashare (our research data storage and file sharing platform) have been dropped. This makes the spectrum of services for data storage consistently free for researchers:
- Cabinet (for personal storage) up to 20GB
- DataShare for sharing data research in your research group sharing; typically 50GB up to 2TB
- Jade for departmental file sharing
- WestGrid/Compute Canada storage for very large data storage (quotas >= 500GB)
Other parts of our research data management services in early stages include:
- Researcher personal computer backups (currently in testing phase)
- Research data security guidelines and tools (in development)
- Research data management planning