The Canvas Teacher mobile app provides quick access to grading, communicating, and updating your course. It delivers added convenience with day-to-day tasks once your core course structure is set up. That’s the philosophy behind the app and it helps us meet the USask Learning Technology Ecosystem Principle of our courses being efficient and easy to use (get the app here: Apple iOS, Android).
What typical course tasks work well on the app?
- Communicating with students (Inbox and announcements)
- Reading and replying to full-class discussions
- Editing assignment and quiz details, including due dates
- Editing pages
- Providing annotations; text, audio, or video comments; and grades on assignments
- This works especially well if you have a tablet with a pen (iPad SpeedGrader demo video)
What can’t be done in the app?
- Creating modules
- Creating assignments
- Creating quizzes
- Accessing the full grade book
- Access the syllabus
- Reply to group discussions
What if I need to edit my course and I only have my phone?
- The app is the best option for most Canvas tasks on your phone, but if you need access to everything (e.g., need to access the grade book), you can always access your full course through the web browser (e.g., Chrome, Safari) at canvas.usask.ca
You can learn more about the benefits and limitations of the Canvas Teacher app in this excellent guide from Emerson College.
In addition to the Teacher app, students have access to the Canvas Student app. They, too, can conveniently access course materials and complete many of the course tasks from within the app. If you like, you can share this guide with your students.
For assistance in setting up the Teacher app, please view this video.