U of S Alumni Association approves new governance

AGM Banner.jpg
At the June 20 University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association’s Annual General Meeting (AGM), a special resolution was passed, approving new general bylaws for the association.
“The governance changes ensure that we have the best processes in place to effectively attain the board’s objectives developed in our new strategic plan for 2012-15” said Jason Aebig (BA’99) outgoing association president.
The changes will also enable the association’s work to better align with the university’s strategic direction, explained Aebig. “We met with many people at the U of S to discuss how alumni can support the university, whether through faculty and student recruitment, or helping with fundraising efforts and volunteer engagement.”
The AGM also held a volunteer recognition ceremony that acknowledged close to 450 volunteers that have given their time and effort in support of the university and the association. The association paid special tribute to outgoing U of S President Peter MacKinnon for his years of service.
Additionally, in recognition of exceptional service, affinity and support of the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association, the association also approved Honorary Alumni Status for Bill and Betty Albritton and for Wendy (Bates) Field.
The association also voted to approve the following members for its board of directors:
For one year terms to begin immediately following the AGM and ending June 2013:
Maria Lynn Freeland (JD’86) Prince Albert, SK
Bryan Harvey (BSA’60, MSc’61) Saskatoon, SK
Judy MacMillan (BSA’79) Saskatoon, SK
Delva Rebin (BA’58) Saskatoon, SK
Jan Williams Russell (BSHEc’73) Saskatoon, SK
Jonathan Troyer (BA’99, LLB’01) Calgary, AB
For two year terms to begin immediately following the AGM and ending June 2014:
Tanyann Belaney (LLB’05) Regina, SK
Wayne Evanisky (BCOMM’77) Saskatoon, SK
Peter Zakreski (BA’61) Saskatoon, SK
Sean Junor (BA’00) Saskatoon, SK
Peter Stroh (BSc’70; Bed’75; MED’85)
The following member continues as the Alumni Association’s University of Regina Senate representative for the second of a three year term ending in June 2014:
Ms. Sandra Schnell (BA’88, LLB’91) Regina, SK
The following member continues as the Alumni Association’s University of Saskatchewan Senate representative for the second of a three year term ending in June 2014:
Mr. Brent Banda (BCOMM’97; MBA ’01) Saskatoon, SK
The following individual will continue as ex-officio member of the University Of Saskatchewan Alumni Association Board Of Directors:
Melana Soroka, (BA’84) Executive Director (as appointed by the University)
All reports from the June 20, 2012 AGM are available on the Alumni Association AGM webpage.
For more information, please contact:
Melana Soroka
Executive Director,
University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association
(306) 966-1247 or 1-800-699-1907

Searching for the owner of a 50-year old wedding ring

Alumni Logo Decal_Sept_2010.jpg
The search is on for the owners of a mysterious wedding ring, found in a Saskatoon garden by Colleen Christensen, Executive Director of the Feeds Innovation Institute here at the University of Saskatchewan.
The ring is extra special—because according to the engraving found on the inside—J & J 8/9/62—the owner of this ring will soon be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
The ring was found entwined in a bunch of lilies that were originally dug up from Christensen’s family farm in Young, meaning the owners could potentially be from Young, or a past owner of her home in Saskatoon. With the possibility of the owner being a U of S alumnus, Christensen is even more determined to find them.
Christensen has checked all the owners of her Saskatoon home back to 1960 through the Henderson’s directory, but there’s been no match of initials. She’s also searched through the Star Phoenix microfiche for August and September of 1962 but hasn’t found a match there either.
“If anybody knows somebody who’s approaching a 50th wedding anniversary with the initials J and J, that would be a way to find them,” Christensen said.
If you have any information on the potential owner of the ring, please contact Colleen Christensen at (306) 966-4154.

Searching for the owner of a 50-year old wedding ring

Alumni News
The search is on for the owners of a mysterious wedding ring, found in a Saskatoon garden by Colleen Christensen, Executive Director of the Feeds Innovation Institute here at the University of Saskatchewan.
The ring is extra special—because according to the engraving found on the inside—J & J 8/9/62—the owner of this ring will soon be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
The ring was found entwined in a bunch of lilies that were originally dug up from Christensen’s family farm in Young, meaning the owners could potentially be from Young, or a past owner of her home in Saskatoon. With the possibility of the owner being a U of S alumnus, Christensen is even more determined to find them.
Christensen has checked all the owners of her Saskatoon home back to 1960 through the Henderson’s directory, but there’s been no match of initials. She’s also searched through the Star Phoenix microfiche for August and September of 1962 but hasn’t found a match there either.
“If anybody knows somebody who’s approaching a 50th wedding anniversary with the initials J and J, that would be a way to find them,” Christensen said.
If you have any information on the potential owner of the ring, please contact Colleen Christensen at (306) 966-4154.

U of S renames historic College Building to honor President MacKinnon

3695062341_58d6168060_o.jpg
The University of Saskatchewan will rename the historic College Building to the Peter MacKinnon Building to honor the outgoing U of S President.
U of S Board of Governor Chair Nancy Hopkins made the naming announcement at a special dinner honoring MacKinnon June 14 at TCU Place.
“As the university’s eighth president, Peter MacKinnon provided a vision for the future of our university by reaching into our past and renewing the dream of our founders, that the University of Saskatchewan should have ‘an honoured place among the best,” said Hopkins.
“The College Building and its restoration became an early and very visible symbol of Peter’s determination. It is fitting, therefore, that the university recognize Peter MacKinnon’s legacy of leadership by renaming the College Building in his honour.”
The university’s Board of Governors approved the name change at the May 2012 meeting. Federal approval was confirmed earlier in the week to allow the U of S to officially change the name of a building that was deemed a National Historic Site in 2001.
Built between 1910 and 1912, the Agriculture Building (as it was then known) was designed by architectural firm Brown and Valance in collegiate gothic style. The importance of this first building was recognized when Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier took a break from his political tour of Saskatchewan during the summer of 1910 to lay the building cornerstone on July 29.
According to U of S Historian Bill Waiser, once classes began on campus in 1912, the Agriculture Building quickly became the hub of a succession of activities and purposes—from milk-testing to extension meetings in Convocation Hall to the basement gymnasium to biology labs to the university library to the first home of the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra to the College of Education to the Department of Art and Art History. In time, though, the building gradually became the administrative centre of the university. In fact, during the mid-1970s, thousands of students patiently lined up on the well-worn steps to register in what was then known as the Administration Building.
Unfortunately, the building fell into disrepair and was partially vacated in 1984 when crumbling support pillars caused significant sagging. The deterioration continued and the building was abandoned completely in 1997.
Then, thanks to the large ideas of President MacKinnon and members of the university community, and the skilled work of a number of tradespeople, the College Building was successfully restored to its former beauty and grandeur, reopening officially in 2005.
“Indeed, the building continues to serve as the centrepiece to the bowl and the larger university campus,” said Waiser. “It anchors the best collection of collegiate gothic architecture on any university campus in Canada.”
“I am very honored by this decision,” said MacKinnon. “This building represents historic significance and an exciting future for our university. Helping to see the restoration and re-opening of the College Building is one of the great moments during my term as president.”
MacKinnon joined the College of Law at the U of S in 1975, becoming a full professor in 1983. He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1990. He went on to serve as assistant dean and dean of law before his appointment as president and vice-chancellor in July 1999.
During his tenure as president, MacKinnon led policy changes to improve the university’s success as a competitive medical-doctoral institution. He oversaw major capital expansion at the university that included restoration of the historic College Building as well as construction and renovation of significant teaching and research facilities.
MacKinnon was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in January 2012 and was recently named the inaugural Prime Minister of Canada Fellow beginning in September 2012. He was a member of the federal Science, Technology and Innovation Council from 2007-2012, overseeing with McGill Principal Heather Munroe Blum the preparation of Council’s State of the Nations Reports. He served as chair of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada from 2003-2005.
MacKinnon will step down as U of S president June 30, 2012