|May 5, 2000||Volume 7, Number 16|
Synchrotron predecessor, linear accelerator was $1.75m addition to U of S in 1964
By Patrick Hayes
With all the excitement and publicity connected with the announcement that the University of Saskatchewan will be the home of the Canadian Light Source synchrotron, it might be interesting to cast our minds back to the opening of the Linear Accelerator.
As with the CLS, the building of the Linac was not a random event, but rather the result of a series of developments on campus.
The Department of Physics early on had built for itself a reputation based upon experimentation and innovation. The post-war period saw the U of S in the forefront of nuclear physics in Canada.
In 1948, Canada's first betatron (and the world's first used in the treatment of cancer) was installed on campus. It was used for research programs in nuclear physics, radiation chemistry, cancer therapy and radiation biology. Next the world's first non-commercial cobalt-60 therapy unit for the treatment of cancer was officially opened in 1951.
With this unit research was undertaken in the areas of radiological physics, radiation chemistry and the effects of high energy radiation on plants and animals.
When the construction of the Linac was announced in the fall of 1961, it was portrayed as the next logical step on the University's research path. The 80-foot electron accelerator tube was to create energy six times that of the betatron.
The cost of the $1,750,000 facility was split between the National Research Council and the University of Saskatchewan, with the NRC meeting the cost of the equipment and the University assuming the costs of the building.
The official opening in early November of 1964 was more than just a few speeches and the cutting of a ribbon. It was a physics-fest, with 75 visiting scientist from around the world in attendance presenting papers and giving lectures over the period of several days. Three eminent physicists were granted honorary degrees at the fall convocation and hundreds of people showed up for the public open house.
For three decades the Linac has served the campus research community and will continue to do so when it becomes incorporated into the Canadian Light Source synchrotron, currently under construction.
For further information, visit the web site or contact email@example.com
Next issue of